Sunday, December 27, 2009

An Age of Plagues

There is time enough in the world to deal with the rise and fall of the sea. There is time enough in the world to work out a way to cope with desertification or coastal erosion.

But what about Drug Resistant plagues?

Will there be enough time?

The thing to keep in mind about plagues is that their behavior in the wild is that they infect at an exponential rate, not an additive rate. In other words, damn fast.

Here is how it will start. (From an AP article at Yahoo.)

Then came the fevers. They bathed and chilled the skinny frame of Oswaldo Juarez, a 19-year-old Peruvian visiting to study English. His lungs clattered, his chest tightened and he ached with every gasp. During a wheezing fit at 4 a.m., Juarez felt a warm knot rise from his throat. He ran to the bathroom sink and spewed a mouthful of blood.

I'm dying, he told himself, "because when you cough blood, it's something really bad."

Oswaldo is lucky. Well, that may or may not be so. If he has a relapse, he could end up starting a wild fire.

We may come to a point in our near future where the grim fate of Prince Prospero will be less the stuff of fables then a dark reality.

1 comment:

  1. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    3d studio max tutorials

    ReplyDelete

By submitting your comments, you agree that you alone are responsible for their content. I reserve the right to remove comments I deem offensive or inappropriate, at my discretion.

Threatening, abusive and illegal comments may be reported to the proper authorities. Don't be stupid. If the CIA, FBI or the Secret Service knocks on my door and asks questions about you, I will rat you out in seconds. (Sooner if I call them about you.)

Comments made below will be subject to public viewing.

Comments are subject to moderation.

It is an unfortunate fact of life that there are people out there in the wilds of the Internet that think it cute to post racist and Nazi garbage on other peoples websites. Some of these thugs are even enabled by people who should know better. In my opinion, both the thugs and their enablers are worse than spammers.

I have recently made enemies with a particular group of these people who have done just that on another website. I don't intend to make it easy for them to do that to me.

In light of that, comment moderation will be used here on this humble and very obscure little blog.

I will check in several times each day to approve appropriate comments.


For the most part, I will allow just about any type of comment except for spam and Kilgorian excrement.