Friday, July 16, 2010

I-dosing - The Latest Battle Front Of The War On Drugs

Occasionally there is something in the news that just seems so over the top that it might possibly be a prank.

This one is from Wired.

See: Report: Teens Using Digital Drugs to Get High

I-dosing involves donning headphones and listening to “music” — largely a droning noise — which the sites peddling the sounds promise will get you high. Teens are listening to such tracks as “Gates of Hades,” which is available on YouTube gratis (yes, the first one is always free).

Those who want to get addicted to the “drugs” can purchase tracks that will purportedly bring about the same effects of marijuana, cocaine, opium and peyote. While street drugs rarely come with instruction manuals, potential digital drug users are advised to buy a 40-page guide so that they learn how to properly get high on MP3s.

Oklahoma’s Mustang Public School district isn’t taking the threat lightly, and sent out a letter to parents warning them of the new craze. The educators have gone so far as to ban iPods at school, in hopes of preventing honor students from becoming cyber-drug fiends, News 9 reports.

This strikes me as being just plain silly, both the fad and reaction to it.

I half wonder if it is just a bunch of kids trying to freak-out their parents.

It also reminds me of Larry Niven's Wire-heads.

Except . . .

. . . I now have this terrible urge to play some Philip Glass music . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

By submitting your comments, you agree that you alone are responsible for their content. I reserve the right to remove comments I deem offensive or inappropriate, at my discretion.

Threatening, abusive and illegal comments may be reported to the proper authorities. Don't be stupid. If the CIA, FBI or the Secret Service knocks on my door and asks questions about you, I will rat you out in seconds. (Sooner if I call them about you.)

Comments made below will be subject to public viewing.

Comments are subject to moderation.

It is an unfortunate fact of life that there are people out there in the wilds of the Internet that think it cute to post racist and Nazi garbage on other peoples websites. Some of these thugs are even enabled by people who should know better. In my opinion, both the thugs and their enablers are worse than spammers.

I have recently made enemies with a particular group of these people who have done just that on another website. I don't intend to make it easy for them to do that to me.

In light of that, comment moderation will be used here on this humble and very obscure little blog.

I will check in several times each day to approve appropriate comments.


For the most part, I will allow just about any type of comment except for spam and Kilgorian excrement.